ELMIRA THROUGH THE YEARS:
Christian Dreisinger purchased the undertaking business from Charles Ruppel in 1905. The Ruppel family had included undertaking as a service offered alongside their furniture business as far back as 1878. In 1905, Christian Dreisinger operated out of his home on Cross Street in Elmira. In 1906, he bought the Wachsmuth Block at the intersection of Church and Arthur Streets in downtown Elmira, moved his undertaking business in and also established a retail furniture store. A two-storey addition was constructed in 1912. A garage was added in the late 1930s and the building was remodeled in 1940, creating the first funeral chapel in the area.
In 1977, the business moved to its current location, the former St. James Lutheran Church manse, and a one-storey addition was built. Christian Dreisinger was followed into the business by his son George, and eventually Christian handed the company over to his granddaughter, Hazel Brown, and grandson, David Dreisinger. Hazel Brown's daughter, Grace Maher, entered the profession along with David's son, John Dreisinger.
In 2009, Monty and Karen Steenson purchased the funeral home from John Dreisinger. Extensive renovations and redecorating of the interior of the funeral home were completed in 2011 to better reflect the changing needs of the community.
OUR FUNERAL VEHICLES THROUGH THE YEARS: